Woman suffers burns from hot water bottle sparking winter warning

Woman suffers burns from hot water bottle sparking winter warning

WARNING: Distressing images

A New Zealand woman is warning of the potential dangers of hot water bottles this winter after hers burst, leaving her with “horrific” second-degree burns.

In the video above: How to avoid house fires while staying warm this winter

Watch the latest News on Channel 7 or stream for free on 7plus >>

Erin Majurey told 7NEWS.com.au of her nightly winter tradition, in which she and her 11-year-old daughter would fill up their hot water bottles and hop into her bed for a cuddle at night.

But two weeks ago their sweet tradition went horribly wrong when, as her daughter was filling her own hot water bottle, Erin’s burst all over her legs.

“I just screamed immediately, it was the most excruciating pain,” Erin told 7NEWS.com.au

The burns immediately began to blister following the accident. Credit: Supplied

Erin says the hot water had caused burns all over her thighs, left buttock and lower back.

“It immediately began to blister, it was just horrific,” she said.

She then quickly stripped out of her pajamas and jumped into the shower to try to prevent the burns from blistering further.

Meanwhile, an ambulance was called for Erin, who says that when paramedics arrived they told her she had suffered second-degree burns.

When she arrived at the hospital, doctors cleaned out the wounds and applied various bandages, a process she described as extremely painful.

“I have never experienced pain like that in my life,” she said.

Erin says the hot water had caused burns all over her thighs, left buttock and lower back. Credit: Supplied

Now, as Erin continues to visit her doctor every few days for check-ups and to get her bandages changed, she is warning others of the dangers this winter.

Erin said she had even taken precautions each winter to try to prevent accidents such as hers occurring.

“I try to replace our hot-water bottles at least every season, because I know that they have an expiry,” she said

However, Erin says her bottle had simply burst, and the middle of the bottle had completely disintegrated.

“I just thank god that my daughter wasn’t in bed with me when this happened,” she said.

Preventing injuries

In order to prevent injuries this winter, those who are using hot-water bottles should be mindful of the following, according to Product Safety Australia:

  • Always check the use-by date, as expired hot water bottles can split and leak more easily
  • Don’t overfill or use boiling water in your hot water bottle – use hot tap water.
  • Always use a hot water bottle cover or wrap the bottle in a towel or fabric to prevent the bottle being in direct contact with the skin.
  • Remove your hot water bottle from the bed before going to bed to avoid rolling onto it and bursting it.

More information on how to avoid injuries this winter can be found on Product Safety Australia’s website.

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.