UK mum’s holiday horror as girl, 2, dies from tummy bug in Turkey

UK mum’s holiday horror as girl, 2, dies from tummy bug in Turkey

A devastated mum has opened up about the traumatic moment her two-year-old girl contracted a deadly infection while at a five-star resort.

A devastated mum has opened up about the traumatic moment her two-year-old girl contracted a tummy bug on holiday, and died.

Allie Birchall was struck down with a bacterial infection while staying at a five star resort in Turkey back in 2019.

The toddler, from Greater Manchester, UK, developed complications and fell ill shortly after returning home, The Sun reports.

She died at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital on August 3, 2019, and last month a coroner concluded she died of natural causes having caught a “unique strain of Escherichia coli” (E. coli).

And after almost three years of waiting for answers, Allie’s family hopes others might be saved from suffering similar to their own.

“Losing our little Allie so tragically and suddenly was heartbreaking for us all, and it’s still incredibly difficult to think we’ll never see her again,” mum Katie Dawson, 36, said.

Stream your news live & on demand with Flash. From CNN International, Al Jazeera, Sky News, BBC World, CNBC & more. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer ends October 31, 2022 >

“When she was admitted to hospital, we were all praying she would pull through. To be told she had suffered brain damage was absolutely devastating.

“The whole experience has been nothing short of traumatic and we have lost a huge part of our lives.

“Allie had her whole life ahead of her before it was snatched away in the cruellest way possible. Her death is something we’ll never get over.”

The coroner found Allie had a “unique strain of Escherichia coli (E. coli) which must have originated in Turkey, but it is not possible to say how Allie acquired it”.

Her mum added: “Sadly nothing can turn back the clock and bring our princess back to us, but we’re grateful that the inquest is over and we at least have some answers.

“All we can hope for now is that others don’t have to suffer like our family has.”

Allie had visited an all-inclusive resort on a 10-day holiday with her family on July 23, 2019, the inquest at Manchester Coroner’s Court heard.

By July 27, she had become ill with stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting.

When she was initially admitted to hospital, “doctors were concerned that Allie was suffering from haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) caused by Shiga [toxin]-producing Escherichia coli”, the coroner said.

HUS is a potentially fatal blood condition linked to Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC), which can lead to kidney failure and brain damage.

As she was diagnosed with both illnesses and worsened, medics decided Allie needed to be transferred to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital for more supportive treatment, including dialysis, the inquest heard.

She was put in an induced coma on August 1 and her family made the heart-wrenching decision to terminate her life support two days later, after an MRI scan revealed she had suffered brain damage, they told the inquest.

The coroner found Allie’s medical cause of death to be encephalopathy (brain swelling) and other complications associated with HUS, brought on by Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) infection.

Jatinder Paul, the senior associate solicitor at Irwin Mitchell representing Allie’s family, said: “Allie’s death continues to have a profound effect on her family, including her mum Katie who in particular is understandably still struggling to come to terms with what they’ve all been through.

“While we can’t change what happened, Allie’s family at least now have some answers as to why she was taken from them so soon. The dangers of gastric illnesses and infections should never be downplayed.

“E. coli is extremely serious and can result in long-term health problems and in the worst cases, such as this, death. We’ll continue to support them as they attempt to come to terms with their loss.”

This story originally appeared on The Sun and is republished here with permission

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.