Jordan De Goey fined k by Collingwood Magpies;  admits he betrayed club’s trust

Jordan De Goey fined $25k by Collingwood Magpies; admits he betrayed club’s trust

In his first response to the media attention his Bali antics generated, De Goey claimed at the weekend he was a victim of media persecution. However in the club statement on Tuesday, the star utility was apologetic.

Jordan De Goey initially said he had been victimized by the media but now says he understands why his behavior in the video was wrong.

Jordan De Goey initially said he had been victimized by the media but now says he understands why his behavior in the video was wrong.Credit:Photos

“I unreservedly apologise to the Collingwood Football Club, its members, supporters and the wider community for my conduct in Bali and I accept full responsibility for my actions,” De Goey said.

“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful, and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas.

“I had worked hard this year to establish trust and confidence in me to make better decisions and through no one’s fault but my own, I have undone that trust.

“Late last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and I am trying to become more aware of why I make mistakes that I do. I have again made a mistake – this is an ongoing journey for me – and I remain absolutely committed to changing.

“I am committed to making myself the best person I can be, and I believe that the best chance I have to do that is in an environment where I have the support of my teammates and the club.”

Anderson said De Goey was now “owning” his behavior and the club hoped he would not make another mistake. If he does transgress, Anderson said the club would “come down on him”.

“He has made progress,” the CEO said. “He’s learning about himself. How he needs to respond, how he needs to behave, and the expectations that we have on him.”

The Bali incident prompted the Magpies to pull their contract offer to the match-winning forward/midfielder. The Age revealed that the club had tabled an offer for two years with a trigger for a further two years on about $800,000 a year.

The club and De Goey’s management had, until the Bali incident, been in meaningful negotiations, with De Goey saying his preference was to remain at Collingwood.

Sources said Collingwood was aware of two clubs putting five-year offers to De Goey, while it’s understood St Kilda have expressed interest without making an offer.

Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said on Tuesday that De Goey should remain with the Magpies and accept whatever the club offered, for he needed to repay the faith the club had shown in him.

“I was of the opinion at the beginning of the year that Jordy should just take whatever Collingwood offers him and repay the faith. I am still of that opinion,” Buckley said on SEN.

“I suppose in the subtext of that, there is I feel Collingwood should not pay top dollar for Jordan De Goey. I think they should offer him what they are prepared to pay him and that he should just accept that and say: ‘Thank you for your support, for your guidance and understanding as I try and navigate my life to go from being a young man who has made some blues to a better contributor, a better person … not just on the field, but off the field’.”

De Goey was given permission to travel to Bali last week for a short holiday during the team’s bye round. A video and photographs then emerged on social media of him partying in a nightclub.

The woman in the video said she had no issue with De Goey’s behavior on the night, posting on Instagram that she could not “believe the backlash towards Jordy and myself”.

Anderson said De Goey had been involved in a club counseling program since the start of the year, and working with Collingwood’s psychologist to improve his off-field behavior.

“The importance of every woman associated with the Collingwood Football Club, whether it’s our 90 athletes, our women leaders, our women’s staff, our women members, and the broader community, disrespect of women is not to be tolerated,” Anderson said.

De Goey has been criticized for putting himself and his club in yet another compromised situation and his public response to it.

De Goey was found guilty of conducting unbecoming by the AFL in March over an incident at a New York nightclub last October and ordered to donate $10,000 to the Salvation Army. The Magpies stood him down for three months, banning him from training with the rest of the players. He had returned to play 12 of the club’s 13 games this season.

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.